Easy Apple Raisin Smothered Pork Chops are comfort food at its best. Not only are they very simple to make they taste “like mama would have made them”.
Easy Apple Raisin Smothered Pork Chops
Pork and apples are just made for each other. A comfort food. This Easy Apple Raisin Smothered Pork Chops recipe is a savory combination of tender sage seasoned pork chops, golden raisins and apples – topped in a creamy flavored sauce.
This is a recipe was developed after I was placed on a low iodine diet for radioactive treatment for thyroid cancer. The diet is awful to say the least, but I found some work around ways that made it palatable. This is one of those recipes that helped me endure a highly restricted diet.
In fact, even after my treatment (which I went through twice – BLAH) this recipe still greets our dinner table. Sure it bring backs some memories, but it remains one of my favorite and easy ways to make pork chops.
Once browned, remove, add flour, then water, vinegar and raisins.
Cook raisin sauce mixture and stir to thicken.
Arrange chops in casserole. Top with apples. Sprinkle with brown sugar and top with raisin mixture. Bake covered for 1 hour.
Now doesn’t that look delicious? And yet YUM is the best way to sum up these Easy Apple Raisin Smothered Pork Chops.
- 6 Pork Chops
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup raisins (golden are my favorite)
- 3 tart apples (I use Empire)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- salt, pepper & sage to taste
- Canola Oil
- Pre-heat over to 350 degrees.
- Season pork chops with salt, pepper & sage. Brown in skillet with canola oil. Once browned, remove, add flour, then water, vinegar and raisins. Cook and stir to thicken. Arrange chops in casserole. Top with apples. Sprinkle with brown sugar and top with raisin mixture. Bake covered for 1 hour.
- I have also made this recipe on the stove top instead of baking it. Tastes just as good and ready in 30 minutes.