Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Brown Butter & Maple are sure to be a hit at your next dinner party! This delicious side dish wows a crowd every time!
These Hasselback Sweet Potatoes are going to be your new favorite go-to side dish! Baking sweet potatoes is a simple and delicious way to savor your favorite spud… Not only are they healthier, but they are just tastier. I love the phrase that “Turn it up a Notch” from Emeril, because this is what we are going to do…. BROWN BUTTER…. BAMM!!!! – Just turned it up.
Hasselback sweet potatoes may be new to you… but I can tell you. It will be your NEW favorite way to bake your sweet potatoes.
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Brown Butter
This recipe may sound fancy or complicated, but it totally is not. The technique is simple, the potatoes are sliced two-thirds of the way through, seasoned with browned butter, maple syrup, and brown sugar, and then baked for 30 minutes. The result is potatoes that are tender on the inside and slightly crisp on the outside.
Perfect addition to your weeknight meal or special holiday meal.
One secret way to create hasselback sweet potatoes is to place the potato between two wooden spoons, and then slice through until the knife hits the spoon. This will leave them intact on the bottom of the potato, while giving them the slices you want. Since sweet potatoes take longer to bake than a regular potato, this method really cuts baking time in half. There are also Hasselback Potato Prep Kits that offer an easy place to put the potato while you slice them. Either are a great idea.
Press your brown sugar and seasoning into each slice so the flavor really soaks in for an amazing taste in every single bite.
Brown butter is a great addition as it really offers a rich flavor you are looking for. This takes just a few minutes, and will give you a resulting Hasselback Sweet Potatoes dish that everyone will rave over.
Add these to a casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through and soft. This is an easy and delicious choice that could also serve as a replacement for your traditional holiday sweet potato dishes! A new spin on an old favorite is always a great addition to your holiday meals.
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Brown Butter Recipe
Optional – Sprinkle with Brown Sugar for some added sweetness.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter, real is best
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (we used real, you can use what you like)
- Pinch salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Slice the sweet potatoes ¾ of the way through, with each slice about ¼-1/2" apart. Place on a sheet pan.
- Drizzle with Olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Bake on 425 for 30 minutes (for large potatoes, adjust the time to 15 minutes for small, thin potatoes)
- While the potato bakes, heat a skillet over medium low. Add the butter and let it melt down. As the butter cooks it will become a darker color. Once the butter is a nice amber color, remove from heat.
- Remove the potato from the oven, pour the brown butter and the maple syrup all over so it drips between the slices. Reduce the oven to 350, bake until potato is fork tender.
Make our delicious Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Brown Butter & Maple as a great side to your favorite grilled chicken, to be served by itself for lunch, or as a side dish for your holiday meals.
More Delicious Recipes: