Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe
For those of you not familiar with a Jamaican Jerk like this Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe, it is a spicy, sweet, tangy and HOT meal for grilled meat, typically used for pork or chicken. Looking for great fun recipes to add to our menu plan, this combination of flavors was top on my list.
After some research, I starting cooking it up in the kitchen in order to find a great “Jerk” recipe that the whole family would enjoy. Most recipes call for Scotch bonnet peppers. I wanted a little heat, but not a ton that my kids would completely back away from the table. Instead of the much more powerful traditional peppers, in the seasoning mix, I incorporated cayenne pepper to turn up the heat a bit. You can certainly adjust this spice level up or down based on your family’s taste.
Start by mixing up a marinade for the jerk chicken in large bowl or dish. See the recipe seasoning blend below. I like to make my own I find it easier as I have most of these spices on hand only.
Jerk Chicken Seasoning Blend
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Pinch salt & pepper.
If you like this jerk chicken recipe as much as we did, you can easily double or triple this seasoning blend recipe and store it in an airtight container for up to two months.
I cheated and cooked my jerk chicken recipe on an indoor grill. If you have limited space, live in an apartment without a grill, or the weather isn’t great fo grilling, you can use this method. You could even broil the chicken in the oven if you preferred. A traditional grilled method imparts a better texture and smoky flavor, but it is still delicious when cooked in other ways.
The addition of fresh pineapple junks, bell peppers, and onions is ideal for serving over rice. The caramelization on the grill adds tons of flavor!
Serve this jerk chicken recipe with veggies and grilled fruits by itself for a low-carb recipe, or over a bed of savory rice for a more traditional feel to your meal.
This delicious Jamaican jerk chicken recipe is a great chioce for your menu plan. You can even toss the chicken, vegetables, fruit, and seasoning mix into a freeze bag together, label, date, and freeze for future meals. It works perfectly for meal planning in advance and letting it marinade longer gives even more flavor!
- 1lb boneless chicken breast, sliced
- Half Fresh Pineapple, core removed & diced
- 1 Red Onion, rough chopped
- Bell Pepper (your color choice), rough chopped
- 3 sprigs Green Onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup orange juice, plus ¼ cup
- Olive Oil
- Rice or Noodles (optional)
- Jerk Seasoning Blend as Noted in post content
- Slice the chicken, season with a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Add it to a bowl with 1 tablespoon Olive oil, a few pieces of the diced pineapple, half of the green onion and the orange juice.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium heat, drizzle the pan with olive oil. Add the chicken, saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the onions, peppers and pineapple. Continue to saute for about 5 minutes. Reduce to low.
- Add the seasonings and the ¼ cup of orange juice. Mix well.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Eat as is or serve over rice. We have even added this to a soft tortilla!
More Chicken Recipes: